Students are required to learn and understand the policies and requirements of their degree.
BASIC SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- A minimum of 120 hours is required to earn a degree.
- Students may need to complete general electives to reach 120 credit hours.
- At least 30 hours numbered 3000 level or higher are required for graduation.
- The final 30 of 36 hours taken for a degree must be completed as MU courses UNLESS the hours are earned through a study abroad program.
- Students must meet the following GPA requirements to graduate:
- 2.0 cumulative GPA
- 2.0 major GPA
- 2.0 GPA in the final 30 hours
- 2.0 GPA in the final 60 hours
- Complete with a grade of C- or higher.
- This course is a prerequisite for Writing Intensive (WI) courses.
- Complete by 60 hours to be eligible to file a graduation plan.
Writing Intensive (WI) courses
- Complete one WI course numbered 1000 + with a grade of C- or higher.
- Complete one WI course 3000+ in a major component area with a grade of C- or higher.
- The WI courses offered each semester are found at the Campus Writing Program website.
- WI courses can double-dip; that is, count for more than one requirement.
Diversity (DI) course (for first time college students beginning Fall 2017 or later)
- Complete one DI course.
- The DI courses offered each semester are found in myZou and are searchable under the course attribute “A&S Diversity Requirement.”
- DI courses can double-dip, that is, count for more than one requirement.
Missouri State Law Requirement
- Complete an approved course in American Government or American History.
- Approved course options are listed at the General Education website.
College Algebra or Equivalent
- Complete Math 1100 or equivalent with a grade of C- or higher.
- This course is a prerequisite for Math Reasoning Proficiency (MRP) courses.
- Fulfill this requirement by 60 hours to be eligible to file a graduation plan.
- Placement information can be found at the Math Placement website.
Math Reasoning Proficiency (MRP)
- Complete a class designated as MRP with a C- grade or higher.
- MRP courses are listed at the General Education website.
- Complete a 3-hour Internship, Readings, or Service Learning course numbered 4000 level in a component area or a 4000-level course in one of your component areas.
- Complete either course in the final 45 hours at MU.
- Earn a grade of C- or higher in the Capstone.
- The Capstone must be an MU course.
- Find a full description of the options in the Capstone section.
COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCE FOUNDATION REQUIREMENTS
- Courses fulfilling A&S Foundation requirements must be included on the General Education course list.
- One course from a department outside of A&S may be used to fulfill requirements in each of the three areas.
- Courses fulfilling foundation requirements may NOT also fulfill major requirements.
Area 1--Biological, Physical, and Mathematical Sciences
- Complete 9 hours from two different disciplines.
- Complete one lecture with a corresponding laboratory. The laboratory should not be taken BEFORE completing the corresponding lecture course.
Area 2--Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Complete 9 hours minimum of Behavioral and Social Science courses.
- Complete at least one course in the Behavioral Sciences.
- Complete at least one course in the Social Sciences.
Area 3--Humanities and Fine Arts
- Complete 9 hours from two different departments.
3 Additional Hours
- Complete an approved course from Area 1, 2,or 3 above.
9 Hours Numbered 2000+
- Complete 9 hours of approved coursework numbered 2000 or higher from two of the following four areas: Biological, Physical, and Mathematical Sciences; Behavioral Science; Social Science; Humanities and Fine Arts.
- One of these courses may be outside of A&S.
- One course must be an MU course.
- A total of 45 hours is required for the major which are evenly distributed between three areas of study called components.
- A component may be made up of 15 hours from a single department or from multiple departments that relate thematically.
- One component must be made of courses from an A&S department.
- A minimum of 18 credit hours of A&S coursework must be completed in the major.
- Of the 15 hours required in each component, 6 hours must be numbered 3000 or higher.
- A GPA of 2.0 is required in each component area.
- One component areas may be made entirely of transfer coursework if the other two components each contain 9 credit hours of MU coursework numbered 3000 level or above.